Ever since I turned 40 my body literally turned on this “aging” switch. I never cared about getting older before and happily celebrated my birthday all month long with several small parties, big parties, and of course cakes! But now all of that has some serious repercussions on my body. It sure as heck didn’t help this happened during this ongoing pandemic. This year, due to pandemic restrictions, and now the lack of joy of getting older, I quietly celebrated my birthday with just 2 cakes. Yup, just 2 cakes…anyways I digress. One thing that really shook me up is my skin! From my pregnancies, I developed hyperpigmentation with dark spots on my cheeks. I started getting IPL and 1540 laser treatments on my face from Laguna Beach Aesthetics by Dr. O’Connell. So far I’ve been 6 times with a mix of those 2 treatments. My face has improved immensely but still need a few more visits to get it completely clear. In the meantime, I changed my skincare routine to support the changes in my skin – bumpiness, hormonal acne, and uneven skintone. I try to use the same brand for a skincare routine so most of the products are from Paula’s Choice. However, I don’t use their mineral sunblock because it has a tint to it. I only like to use untinted products. Some of my other favorite skincare brands are Clinique, Kiehl’s, First Aid Beauty (FAB), and Ole Henriksen.
Paula’s Choice recommends using a cleanser, toner, exfoliant, treatments (like serums), moisturizer then SPF for daytime.
- Clear Pore Normalizing Cleanser – I couldn’t believe I started getting acne in my 40s! I chose this cleanser since it’s supposed to be gentle enough to be used daily and is not supposed to dry out your skin or cause redness. So far so good!
2. Calm Soothing Toner – I believe I have rosacea on my nose since it usually looks pink. Therefore, I chose this toner because it’s specifically intended for redness relief.
3. 8% AHA Lotion Exfoliant – I know we are supposed to exfoliate so I like that this product is a cream you put on twice a day. It doesn’t use any microbeads or anything rough that might damage my skin. This one has 8% glycolic acid with antioxidants.
4. Niacinamide 20% Treatment – After cleansing, toning and exfoliating, it’s time for “treatmeants” aka serums. I chose this one since it’s supposed to help with evening out the skintone and bumpiness. I am going to add another serum for dark spots specifically.
5. 1% Retinol Treatment – Retinol is supposed to be THE main ingredient to use for anti-aging purposes. This gives you 1% with additional peptides and vitamin C. It’s strong stuff so it’s not to be used more than 3 times a week at night after cleansing and toning. I would skip the exfoliating and apply a good hydrating moisturizer last.